Get a Card
Anyone who lives, works, owns property, or goes to school in Payne County, OK is eligible to get a free library card. Individuals who do not meet the requirements to get a free card, but still live in the state of Oklahoma, can pay a $25 annual fee to get a library card. Apply for a card in person at the library's check-in/out desk or submit an online application.
- Live, work, own property, or go to school in Payne County, OK to get a free library card
- Valid photo ID
- Proof of physical address
- If the physical address is NOT in Payne County, proof of Payne County employment, school attendance, or property ownership
- Children under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian who assumes responsibility for materials borrowed
- Driver's license with a current street address
- Current vehicle insurance verification listing Payne County
- Personal check with printed name and street address
- Voter registration card
- Bill or receipt within the past 30 days listing the name and street address
- Any first-class, stamped piece of mail with name and address received within the last 30 days
- Current listing in Stillwater/Payne County phone directory
- Address printed from Oklahoma State University student bursar/OKey account
- Rental agreement with name and street address
- Current property statement with name and Payne County address @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Official employee ID card
- Any official tax document with name and address or employment verification
- Current pay stub with name and employer/business name and address
- Dated School ID card
- Oklahoma State University student bursar/OKey account @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
How to Renew Your Library Card
Library cards expire after 12 months. You will need to renew your to check out items and have continued access to the OK Virtual Library/Libby.
- Renew it online by logging into your account via the library catalog using your library card number
- Call the library at (405) 372-3633 x8111 and confirm your contact information over the phone
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org and include your current phone number, address, and email address
Other Types of Cards
The library provides other options for individuals temporarily residing in Payne County, teachers, and homebound individuals. Specific information about each can be found below.
Temporary cards are issued to patrons who expect to live in Payne County for more than 30 days but less than six months, or do not have a permanent address. Patrons must still complete an application and provide photo identification. Individuals living in a shelter can submit a letter from the shelter director stating residency. Applicants living in other temporary housing can provide proof of employment in Payne County and proof of a permanent mailing address.
- Temporary cards are issued for six months or until a permanent Payne County address is verified
- Two items may be checked out at a time
- Electronic devices and kits cannot be borrowed on temporary cards
Teachers who work at a public or private school or daycare system in Payne County and provide proof of employment are eligible for a teacher card.
- Teacher cards are valid one year from the date of issue
- Teachers can borrow 30 items for classroom use for 30 days and cannot be renewed
- Teachers are responsible for fines due to late, lost, or damaged books just as if they were checked out for personal use
Clients of Stillwater's Mobile Meals Program, residents of Stillwater nursing homes and assisted living facilities, and homebound individuals who arrange to have someone pick up and return library materials on their behalf are eligible for a homebound card.
- Those interested must complete a homebound application
- A limit of 15 items can be checked out for 30 days and cannot be renewed
- Fines are not assessed to homebound patrons for overdue items
- If items are not returned within three months or are damaged, the patron will be charged for the cost of the items
Interested in applying for a Homebound Card? Complete the Homebound application.
Any adult who meets the requirements for a regular library card can apply for a Virtual (eBook/eAudiobook only) library card to access the OK Virtual Library and databases. Complete the Adult Online Application to receive a number via email so you can access the digital library.