City Tax Collection
In Oklahoma, sales tax is the largest source of recurring revenue for municipalities. The total sales tax paid for purchases within Stillwater city limits is 9.313% (effective July 1, 2022).
- State of Oklahoma: 4.5%
- City of Stillwater: 4.0%
- Transportation Sales Tax Fund: 1.0%
- General Fund: 2.0%
- Stillwater Utilities Authority: 1.0%
- Payne County: 0.813%
There is hereby levied an excise tax of 7% of the gross rental receipts due from or paid by any transient guests of hotels located within the city, except that the tax shall not be assessed where the rent is less than $5 per day.
Use tax is due on goods purchased outside of Oklahoma and brought into Stillwater and consumed in situations when no sales tax was charged. An example is something you buy online from another state and no sales tax is charged, but you use the item in Stillwater once it's delivered.
- What is use tax?
Every state with a sales tax has a companion tax for purchases made outside the state. In Oklahoma, that tax is called “use tax”. If you have purchased items for use in Oklahoma from retailers who do not collect Oklahoma sales tax whether by mail order, catalog, television shopping networks, radio, Internet, phone or in person, you owe Oklahoma use tax on those items. Use tax is paid by the buyer when the Oklahoma sales tax has not been collected by the seller. Individuals in Oklahoma are responsible for paying use tax on their out-of-state purchases.
- Can you provide me example of items that are subject to use tax?
Examples of items that are subject to sales tax include books, compact discs, computer equipment, computer software, electronics, clothing, appliances, furniture and other home furnishings, sporting goods and jewelry. When an out-of-state retailer does not collect Oklahoma sales tax, the responsibility of paying the tax falls on the purchaser.
- How do I pay use tax if the retailer doesn’t collect it at the to purchase?
You should report it on your Oklahoma income tax.
- How do I know how much use tax to report on my Oklahoma income?
- Use tax is calculated at the same rate as sales tax, which varies by city and county.
- If you live in Stillwater, your sales tax is 9.313%.
- (Of which 4.0% is for the City of Stillwater; 0.0813% for Payne County and 4.5% for the State of Oklahoma.)
- Where can I find instructions?