Property Nuisances

Like most thriving communities, Stillwater has local rules and legislation to promote safety and repair of property. Over the years, some violations have been identified by inspectors as being those most often cited in complaints.

Accessory Structures - All accessory structures, including garages, sheds, fences, retaining walls and swimming pools must be properly maintained and in good working condition.

Garbage & Debris - Litter and debris cannot collect and remain on a property. Typical violations involve broken or dilapidated furniture, household products, construction materials, and other unsightly or unsanitary items.

House Maintenance - Typical house structure violations include broken windows, roof and gutter problems, missing wall siding, and peeling paint.

Inoperable/Unlicensed Vehicles - Motor vehicles or trailers that are not operable and/or not properly tagged may not be kept on a property.

Mold - There are no current regulations or limits on mold, and Oklahoma does not have an agency with jurisdiction over mold. Information on mold and mold abatement can be found at the Oklahoma Department of Environmental Quality at:

Overgrowth - Grass, weeds and brush may be considered a nuisance if they are higher than 12 inches and if they pose a health, safety or welfare issue. 

Unsafe Structures (Rundown/Dilapidated Buildings) - An unsafe building is a structure (or part of a structure or a premises) that is a danger to public safety because it is open, dilapidated or vacant. Buildings may not be boarded up for more than 36 months.

Trash & Recycle Carts

  • Cart lids must be closed completely. Overfilled carts will not be emptied.
  • Carts may be rolled to the street for pick-up the night before.
  • Remove carts from curbside once garbage has been collected.

Temporary Signs

  • Temporary signs (campaign signs, real estate signs, garage sale signs, balloons, parking bumpers and any other similar freestanding sign or advertising device) may not be placed on public property, including city parks, public structures, traffic signs, utility poles and bus shelters.
  • People may not place temporary signs on private property without the property owners' permission.
  • Oklahoma law does not allow for temporary signs along state highways, which means no signs are allowed on sidewalks or in the space between the curb and the sidewalk. In Stillwater, the state highways are S.H. 51 and U.S. 177.
  • The requirements for the types and location of signs, and for licensing of sign contractors and issuance of sign permits, is contained in Article 7 of the Stillwater Land Development Code (Chapter 23).
View All